Tuesday, December 13, 2005

At F.B.I., Frustration Over Limits on an Antiterror Law - New York Times

One internal F.B.I. message, sent in October 2003, criticized the Office of Intelligence Policy and Review at the Justice Department, which reviews and approves terrorist warrants, as regularly blocking requests from the F.B.I. to use a section of the antiterrorism law that gave the bureau broader authority to demand records from institutions like banks, Internet providers and libraries.

'While radical militant librarians kick us around, true terrorists benefit from OIPR's failure to let us use the tools given to us,' read the e-mail message, which was sent by an unidentified F.B.I. official. 'This should be an OIPR priority!!!'


Wear your new title with pride! I've just created a "Radical Militant Librarian" button that you can buy from the Check This Out! webstore at http://www.cafepress.com/ctostore. (I don't make any money from this; it's just for fun.)

No comments: