Friday, February 15, 2008

MS Word Rant!


One of the great things about having a blog is that it's a wonderful outlet for frustration and rage. The downside, of course, is that it's public and probably pretty permanent. But right this minute, I am too angry to care, so here is my

Rant against MS Word

Only Microsoft could create a bloatware beast that would arbitrarily decide that every footnote above 16 should be renumbered beginning

No! Not at 1!

At 6!

And nothing you can do can make it change!

If you delete the nasty little 6

THE FOOTNOTE DISAPPEARS!!!!

If you try to cut and paste the footnote text,

It thwarts you!

It wants to reformat the indented quote

either to reach across the page or else,

The evil software insists that the entire paper must be indented 2 inches!

and then, you still haven't controlled for the single spaced lines.

ARRRRGH! I HATE MICROSOFT WORD!

And here are some other people who hate it:

Why I Hate Microsoft Word includes a good deal of profanity and some very clever screenshots with inserted text. If you, too, hate the damned paperclip, you will love this site.

MS Word: Living with the Beast John G. Faughnan decides to try to light a candle rather than curse the darkness, and offers a number of work-arounds, none of which helped me, but hey, maybe you live in a different MS Hell.

Paul Sloane who calls it fascist software. Right on, Paul!

Lovely rant about MS Word from Brit, Ian Hocking, a novelist at his blog, This Writing Life After his list of things he hates about Word, Ian lists:

Here's what I like about it:

1. Nothing! Haven't you been listening? Grrr!


And a kiss-and-tell by Chris Pratley, former MS programmer, on what it's like to Drink the MS Kool-Aid.

T Campbell rants and attracts an enthusiastic bunch of commenters who hate Word just as much.

1 comment:

Alex said...

For me ms word are quite important tool,because of there are a lot of doc files on my PC. Several days ago something happened with my doc file and I didn't know what to do next. For luck a friend called me up and told me about many nice tools. I used one of them and was glad,reason of the utility helped him - doc recovery. My trouble was solved very easy and for free as I kept in mind.