Friday, September 09, 2005

A Little Perspective is All We Need


On Fridays, I like to put in something a little different sometimes. How is this for a bit more perspective? In 1054 AD, a supernova exploded, creating this beautiful Crab Nebula. From Earth, with space telescopes, we can take a photo like this, enhanced with color. From the Crab Nebula, I don't imagine we could even see Earth. Our Sol would be an undistinguished medium yellow star in the middle reaches of the galaxy spiral, so maybe we couldn't even pick out Sol. With time and distance, it all looks so beautiful... this lovely thing was born in unimaginable fury. I have been stressing big time about New Orleans, politics, and now Jim has me going about Reed Elsevier. Gee. I think I need a vacation to the Crab Nebula. This image is courtesy of , the European Southern Observatory's photograph of the Crab Nebula in Taurus.

No comments: