Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Feminist Broodings as Mother's Day Approaches





How come it is that all the most progressive and stand-up women I know still have to go out in the rain to buy cards to send to their mothers in law? After how many decades of working on equal rights and making progress for women in the workplace and equal sharing in home duties, we still end up guilt-tripped into buying the cards and flowers for our husband's mother.

Because.

We know

That if we don't

She won't get anything

For Mother's Day.

And nobody should have that

Even if we don't like her very much.

The pink camellias are courtesy of http://images.mooseyscountrygarden.com/

4 comments:

Marie S. Newman said...

Don't forget birthday and holiday cards/gifts! I tell myself that I'd want someone to do the same thing for me.

Betsy McKenzie said...

This is why we who are lucky enough to have daughters need to be nice to them when they are young! It's the best guarantee that you won't fall through the holiday cracks, forever dependent on the good will of a daughter-in-law! Or perhaps no daughter-in-law, just the son. Boy, that could be worse. Is there some problem with that X chromosome and cards?

Marie S. Newman said...

There's some proble with that Y chromosome, period.

Betsy McKenzie said...

Ooops! I got my genes on backward. How like me. What a terrible (and wrong) pun. Marie, forgive me.