Saturday, November 18, 2006

The heart's desiring





When I was young, I lived by the motto:

When in danger, when in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.


Well, that only takes you so far in life! I have come to a new bit of wisdom, from a friend I knew at St. Louis University, Fr. Joe Tetlow, speaking of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits:

The Spiritual Exercises are a way to go through a prayer experience to discover through praying and Scripture and the Church's revelation what your own deepest and most authentic desiring is, and to find the courage to enact that.


(see link)
I think that is a terrific statement, and applicable far beyond Christian spirituality. When I have a difficult situation, I try to think about looking for my own deepest and most authentic desiring, and finding the courage to enact that. Thank you, Fr. Tetlow!

No comments: