Monday, August 28, 2006

Restless


Is it a mid-life crisis? Would it cure this restlessness if I bought a little red sportscar? I window-shop jobs and places to live, all the while I am quite aware that I am very happy living and working where I do. Maybe it's just the restlessness that comes with uncertainty. Our school is involved in a year-long dean search. One year from now, I have no idea who will be the dean I work for.

On the other hand, I am haunted by library directors I have seen linger too long. Those who really should have moved on to new challenges, when they had really done all they could at their school. Or worse, those who should have retired gracefully, and instead, had to be hauled out kicking and screaming.

Don't let me go like that! Don't let me hang onto a comfy position after I have stopped doing good for my school! Hard to know when that is... I clearly had big jobs to do in each of the first 8 or 9 years I was at Suffolk. Now, I've got the building finished, the move done, the punchlist finished and 2 inspections under my belt. I've got procedures and excellent people in place, working along smoothly. Just when I ought to be feeling that I am relaxing and enjoying the fruits of my labor, I can't help but worry: Am I done here? Is it time for somebody else to come in and see the library with new eyes?

Maybe I ought to buy that little red sportscar. (image courtesy of http://www.arcadiadreams.com/images/ad_automobili/Lamborghini_Miura_SV1973.jpg )

No comments: