Sunday, December 23, 2012

Little Free Library

I only just heard about Little Free Library, a project that anybody can set up to share books for free. They often look almost like bird houses with books in them. I think it's a lovely idea, and it just made me smile. They have a map that shows how these little boxes for books have been set up all over the world. I clicked on icons to look at the Little Free Libraries in Pakistan and Poland, England, France, Canada and some of the zillions of them across the United States where they are so thick you cannot just click on a single icon.

I hope you enjoy the website!


The image decorating this post is from the Little Free Library website where you can order boxes pre-made like this one or many other styles (http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/order.html, but many people obviously make their own.

1 comment:

Marie S. Newman said...

I had planned to blog this myself, but I would have taken a different spin on it. I too think it's a lovely idea. However, I think it would be even more lovely if advocates of reading and literacy would also support the institutions we already have in place that have been sharing books for free for decades--our nation's embattled public libraries. How many public libraries have seen their budgets slashed by cities who don't want to pay for libraries when "everything is on the Internet" and "nobody wants books anymore"?