Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Sold out! AALL sells us down the river

Well, thanks to Joe Hodnicki at the Law Librarian Blog, Sarah Glassmeyer at SarahGlassmeyerDotCom, and Greg Lambert, of 3 Geeks and a Blog, we know that AALL has requested that nobody blog live during the AALL Vendor Colloquium. So, not only is it not Webcast for us members who are footing the bill, it is not blogged or Tweeted.

Wonder why not?

Greg says at his blog...

I don't think you'll be seeing a lot of #AALLVC tweets today, as many of us were asked to wait and sit through the entire discussion before we start pushing information out. I looked at this the same way that I looked at when I got to look at WestlawNext last year when I went up to Eagan, MN. Many of you may not agree with me on this, but that's what I agreed to, and I will make sure that I keep lots of notes on what is said and will blog about it on Wednesday, along with my own personal commentary.

Mark Estes will be pushing out recaps (live blogging) at the AALL Spectrum Blog later today and on through tomorrow. I'll be talking with as many vendors, librarians and stakeholders as I can to get a feel for where I think we are heading as an industry of legal information professionals and legal information providers over the next few years. Like I said earlier... it should be interesting. Stay tuned for more...
Perhaps I am too cynical.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the radio silence makes sense. Transparency is great if you can get the information in context (video stream, for example). Live blogging/tweeting is helpful when ideas are primarily for sharing/education and are bite-sized. But I can completely understand why the preference in this case would be for updates to come out after all the information sharing has happened. Vendor - customer interactions can end up highly scripted and useless if there is a feeling that every sentence is susceptible to instant, and perhaps mistyped, sharing. The people I know who attended are people I respect, and I'm sure what they share after the meeting will probably reflect what's important far better than me haphazardly watching a Twitter stream.

The Amazing Advocate said...

I think David said it pretty well. I'm sitting in the airport looking over my notes and will start blogging my perspective tomorrow, but I do have to say that the discussions were good, and the blog posts from Mark Estes were actually a great snapshot of what was going on. I think it is a bit of a stretch to think there was some underlying (evil) reason for the radio silence during the colloquium. I will let you know that we did have a discussion about how AALL should handle how it deals with social media in the future, and that they should think of different ways to communicate to the membership during these types of important meetings.

I have substantial notes and opinions about what went on, and will be sharing these with my readers over e next few days (at least).

The Amazing Advocate said...

I think David said it pretty well. I'm sitting in the airport looking over my notes and will start blogging my perspective tomorrow, but I do have to say that the discussions were good, and the blog posts from Mark Estes were actually a great snapshot of what was going on. I think it is a bit of a stretch to think there was some underlying (evil) reason for the radio silence during the colloquium. I will let you know that we did have a discussion about how AALL should handle how it deals with social media in the future, and that they should think of different ways to communicate to the membership during these types of important meetings.

I have substantial notes and opinions about what went on, and will be sharing these with my readers over e next few days (at least).

Unknown said...

There have been very good notes on the keynote posted by Greg Lambert at 3 Geeks and Blog and by Mark Estes at AALL Spectrum Blog (http://aallspectrum.wordpress.com/). Particular congratulations to Mark on reproducing the tri-fold hand-out and to Greg on his very creative video technique to try to bring the keynote to life for us. Mark Estes has blogged the rest of the Vendor Colloquium, as well.